Wednesday, December 8, 2010

My Favorite Book

A book I recently read or I should say re-read is Stephen King's Bag of Bones, my all time favorite book. I have always been a fan of Stephen King but when I read Bag of Bones about 5 years ago, it became my favorite novel by him or by anyone. It isn't classic literature and it won't be studied in literature classes but what it exemplifies is what I want in a book- it takes you to a different place, into a different world for just awhile to look around and explore. Since the first time I read it I have read Bag of Bones every year at least once typically twice, so where it takes me is obviously an interesting one.

I don't want to give away what happens in the book but a brief summary would be that the book follows a man, Mike Noonan, who's wife passes away and he has to continue his life without her which is mundane until a chance encounter with a young woman, Stephen King would never allow it to be that simple though so expect the unexpected. Mike begins to believe the unbelievable and learn more about his past then he could have ever imagined. That being said, I think this is more novel than horror for Stephen King though and a great book to check out if you aren't into horror or fantasy but want to give a Stephen King book a try.

Bag of Bones is like a conversation with the main character, like you are sharing in Mike Noonan's life as a friend. I feel transported to the TR everytime I read the book through Stephen King's writing and descriptions of his characters and places. The characters are normal people who at the same time can be viewed as villianious and heoric, weak and strong. The humanity Stephen King is able to portray in this book is amazing, the characters are three dimensional and almost become real people.

I love this book and whenever I get a chance I recommend people read it because I wish what I feel when I read this book for everyone. At the very least it will start a conversation and that isn't so bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment